Rosa Lorés-Sanz (InterGedi) and Giuliana Diani (Università di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italia) organized the Seminar “Transferring knowledge within academic and institutional contexts: A focus on new and hybrid digital genres” at the 14th ESSE Conference, which took place in Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republic), August 29-September 2, 2018. In this Seminar, two other members of InterGedi (Isabel Corona and Isabel Herrando-Rodrigo) presented their research results.
Lorés-Sanz, Rosa, and Diani, Giuliana (convenors): “Transferring knowledge within academic and institutional contexts: A focus on new and hybrid digital genres”
The web has become a privileged access platform to knowledge for an increasingly globalized society. The spread of electronic platforms as well as the use of English as a vehicle of international communication has brought with it the emergence of new written and spoken genres or the adaptation of existing ones to the digital world.
This seminar aims to provide a forum to present some of the latest contributions to the topic. Contributions from different analytical approaches are welcome. These approaches will preferably include genre-based analysis, intercultural rhetoric, corpus studies, multimodal analysis, computer-mediated discourse analysis and metadiscourse. The following topics may be addressed:
- the use of English as an international language in academic or institutional digital communication
- the discursive construction of identity in academic and institutional discourse in the net
- emergent and reconfigured digital genres in academic and institutional settings: rhetorical and discursive features
- the impact of language/culture and discipline in the shaping of academic or institutional web-mediated genres
- the interaction of verbal and visual modes in academic and institutional digital contexts
- the role of digital genres in expert to non-expert communication in EAP/ESP contexts